Monday, October 21, 2013

How Alaïa and Valentino Inspired The Kardashians’ Lipsy Collection

Look closer at the Kardashians' new fashion collection for Lipsy and you'll see references to the likes of Valentino, Azzedine Alaïa and Isabel Marant, or so says the family's best known member, Kim Kardashian - whose birthday, coincidentally, it is today. The campaign, which stars the three sisters, was photographed by Terry Richardson.


"Valentino and Isabel Marant aren't really our style, but their influence is reflected in the collection," Kardashian told us over the phone from LA. "That idea of casual comfort that people love inspired the fabrics - there's a lot of stretch. You know an Alaïa dress will hold and suck you in? I wanted to make pieces like that, pieces to make you feel really good about yourself."



Whether you love or loathe the Kardashians, the family - who found fame on their reality television show, Keeping Up with the Kardashians - have established a mighty empire with an estimated net worth of $80 million, thanks to various magazine deals, their show, legal wins, personal appearances, fragrances and a fashion line, Kardashian Kollection, which launched in 2011. The sisters - who have worked together on their Lipsy range, which launches on October 24 in stores and online - are no strangers to public scrutiny.



"For me, having people criticise what I wore and looked like when I was pregnant - that was hard," admitted Kim Kardashian. "It made me feel insecure, so I have tried to avoid the limelight more. Once you start focusing on the other stuff, the fragrances and our fashion line, you stop worrying about the rest."



Nonetheless, both the public and the media are fascinated by the Kardashians. Their relationships, lawsuits, wardrobe choices, arguments are endlessly written about in the press - whether true or not.



"The biggest misconception about my family and me is that we're lazy," said Kim. "I work hard; the show is a full-time job. Sometimes I don't think people realise that - we work 7am until 7pm on the programme. People think, 'Well, what do they do?' We do so much, we work on the show, on fragrances, on our fashion line - there's a lot. Also, people have this idea that my mum [Kris Jenner] controls us all and will her book her kids to do anything if it makes money. I am in my thirties - my mum can't tell me what to do."



Perhaps the biggest development in the Kardashians' recent history was the birth of Kim's first child with rapper Kanye West, named North West. Despite being little more than four months old, the baby is already accruing an impressive designer wardrobe - with mother Kim having recently posted pictures of the tot's luxury ensembles on her Instagram page. Think mini Alexander Wang, Celine and Lanvin.



"I was just blown away by the generosity of the designers for sending me those pieces," said Kim. "Not all of the brands even make clothes for babies. This is the fun part right? Dressing her up and making her look nice. She's much more stylish than I was when I was little, absolutely."

No comments:

Post a Comment