Monday, October 7, 2013

Versus Gets A Rap Makeover

London-born rapper M.I.A is the lastest name to team up with Versus, confirming recent rumours. The theme of the forthcoming collection is perhaps more surprising than news of the collaboration - the 19-piece range is inspired by Versace counterfeits. The label's most famous design, including medusa head and the greek frieze, have been mixed with "graphic prints and street energy."

"I adore the energy of the street, so when M.I.A proposed to expose the issue of collaboration inspired by these items, I thought it was an incredible idea," said Donatella Versace. "The collection represents all that I love of the new Versus Versace: it's fast, it's noisy, it's brazen and it blends the world of music with that of fashion. I can't wait to see it worn."

The collectioon - whice will be available from october 16 - will feature both men and womenswear, including T-shirts, printed jeans, silk skirts, jersey dresses and military-inspired outwear. M.I.A and Versace have long share a mutual love for one another - the Grammy Award-winning musician often wears the brand's creations, and has been seen on the front row at its shows.

"The theme of counterfeits, of those that produce and sell them has always been part of the culture of M.I.A," the rapper told WWD. "When I was contacted by Versace, it seemed a great idea to invert the circle. Versace's designs have always been copied, now its Versace that copies the copies, so those  that copy must copy the copies. So this will continue."

Donatella Vesace introduced a new chapter for Versus in November last year, announcing plans of a new initiative to bring in different designers to create one-off collections for the brand - the first of which was JW Anderson. M.I.A is, however, the first musician to be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment