Sunday, October 26, 2014

Put Yourselves First

Gisele Bundchen is not from the martyrdom school of maternal thinking. The supermodel outspoken in her advocacy of both breastfeeding and staying healthy in pregnancy asserts that, aside from the sacrifices that women make for their children's  health, mothers should try to think of themselves first.

"its very important to nourish yourself, take care of yourself," she said. "You know how they say on the plance that you have to put the oxygen mask on first and then put it on your child? So, I think it is the same, as mum, to take care of myself. You can feel a bit guilty you feel guilty if you do and if you don't. But if I put my oxygen mask on first, if I'm feeling fulfilled and present and good about myself, then I'm going to be a much more patient, loving, understanding mother and wife. You have to fill your glass so that everyone can drink from it. That's how I feel."

Frech from filming a commercial for Chanel with the director Baz Luhrmann playing a woman who although she seemingly "has it all" is strunggling  to balancing work, love and motherhood, Bundchen is adamant that the struggle is worthwhile, and can bear rewards.

"We should be allowed to dream and want more," she told to The Sunday Times Style. "We want to have more than just to be the pretty woman who sits there. I think that it's a very empowering thing for me to be able to be successful in my job and not feel like I need to sacrifice being a mother."

No comments:

Post a Comment