Thursday, October 17, 2013

MIA For Versus: “It’s Good For My Mum To See”

As MIA's collection for Versus launches in stores today, the rapper credits her mother for her newfound design talents. 

"I think that it's good for my mum to see," she told us. "She's a seamstress, and it's nice to be incorporating what I learnt from her working with such a crazy legendary label." 

MIA is the first non-designer to team up with the label, with previous collaborators including Christopher Kane and JW Anderson. She is "very flattered" to be following in their footsteps, but believes she has something unique to offer the brand. She isn't nervous about how her fashion offering will be received: "What for?" 

"Well, I made things to hang out in and be chill," she said. "This collection is for people who are not afraid to be out there." 

Donatella Versace gave the singer complete freedom - the results of which were inspired by copycat versions of famous Versace motifs and products. Leggings, T-shirts, minidresses and shirts come covered with the label's best-known prints, including the Medusa head and the Greek frieze.

"Counterfeits are something I've always had and collected, and I would also collect a lot of vintage Versace from the Nineties," she said. "Sometimes I like the copies better and sometimes I like the original. I felt that there needed to be a bridge between both, or definitely a mix-up, so it's really a collaboration between Versace and the bootlegs."

No comments:

Post a Comment